Quotes from Suikoden I

Ain Gide

"...I believe your name was Schtolteheim Reinbach III."

"Master Tir, if you insist on going any farther, you will have to do so over my dead body!"


Alen

"How dare you! My army will never surrender, even if it's down to the last soldier."

"I am Alen of the Flame!"


Antonio

"Cooking requires strength, you know."


Barbarossa Rugner

"Someday, you will follow the path of your own choosing."

"Dragon King Sword, give me power!"


Blackman

"I shall return to the earth."


Suikoden I


Camille

"You! I've got you now, you bum!"

"Ha! I've got you now! 'I'll collect from your grave' is the debt collector's motto, and you'll never outrun Camille the She-Devil!"

"Damn these penniless bums."

"That's what you get for acting big even after you're dead."

"I heard. Gremio died trying to save you, right? Listen, do your utmost to protect the life that Gremio gave you. Don't you dare let his death be in vain. Otherwise, I'll never forgive you."


Chapman

"What a place to kick the bucket."


Chief of the Dwarves

"A proud elf asking a lowly dwarf for a favor?"


Chief of the Elves

"Have you thought of a good way of exterminating us? With your tiny minds?"


Cleo

"What a creep."

"Boys will be boys."

"So, what shall we do now? I'd love to take a shower..."

"Outrageous! Execution without trial!"

"I don't plan to betray the Empire, but Grady is unforgivable."

"Take me with you, Master Tir. The deaths of Gremio, Master Teo... So much has happened. I'd like to be in battle so I can try to forget. Besides, I can't let Pahn upstage me."

"Why do I... fight? There's no reason why women shouldn't. Just like men, women have things they want to protect."

"Ted, you're going to have to live on your own for a very long time. And at the end of your voyage... I suppose it would be wrong to change his fate."

"You'll never be strong as long as you consider yourself weak."

"Death and war are inseparable."


Clive

"I'll beat anyone who gets in my way!"


Crowley

"May the 100 runes within me..."


Eike

"If you're strong, I'll fight you!"


Flik

"Odessa used to say to me, 'You should be more aware of your position as a leader.' Those words are coming back to haunt me. Maybe she knew that her death was imminent. But I was unworthy of her expectations."

"A machine that runs on oil? Sounds ridiculous."

"In the name of my sword Odessa, I will take your head!"

"It's a bit too early to see Odessa again. Our reunion can wait until I become a better man."


Fukien

"Many young lives will be lost. The thought pains me."

"If this is fate, then so be it."

"Straight to Buddhahood."


Fuma

"You have done well to find me, as I can obliterate my very presence and become a shadow."

"This, too, is the Ninja Way."


Futch

"How would you like to go to the theater, Black?"


Gaspar

"Live or die, it's all luck."


Gen

"All I'm interested in are boats. I'll take on any job as long as it's worthy of my skills."

"The old geezer thinks he's a big shot. Hey old man! I know you're in there! Come out, you bum, or I'll break down the door!"

"Hey, old man! Aren't you lucky you got to see all this before kicking the bucket!"


Gremio

"Oh my god! The stew! The stew!"

"Enough is enough."

"I swear on my hatchet I won't let you pass."

"...Young Master. I, Gremio, will protect you with my life..."

"It's not much of a place, but home is where the heart is."

"What a rogue. Rotten to the core. When I think I was taking orders from this creature."

"Young Master. I'm proud of you. Promise me you'll always follow your heart. That is my first, and final... request..."

"Wherever you go, I go, Young Master."

"Kirkis, this ring is your hope. And you must never give up hope. With just a little bit of hope, you can survive, live on. And that goes for humans as well as elves."


Grenseal

"I sacrifice this life to the Empire and to Master Teo."

"I am Grenseal of the Thunder."


Griffith

"The Liberation Army has no mercy. No time for breakfast?"

"Troops, do the best you can, but don't waste your lives."

"Lives are precious things."

"Whether I'm fighting for the Imperials or the Liberation Army, it makes no difference to me, as long as I can eat."


Hix

"...Why are you here in broad daylight when you are a vampire? Have you no shame?!"

"Tengaar! I swear, I swear, I swear I'll come and rescue you!"

"In the name of my sword Tengaar, I'll destroy you Neclord!"


Humphrey Mintz

"........."

"I am Humphrey Mintz, former Captain of the Imperial Army's Hundred Man Battalion."

"...Yo!"

"That was the first time I attacked someone out of pure hatred. And I hope... that it was the last time."


Innkeeper

"Don't give me that cock and bull. If you're an aristocrat, why can't you afford breakfast?"


Kage

"I never betray a contract."

"A ninja wastes no words."

"If you accept my worth, my loyalty is yours."


Kai

"My stick-fighting is still pretty good!"


Kamandol

"I can do anything... depending on time and money."

"Stop calling me 'old man'!"


Kanaan

"We'll crush them like flies. Ho ho ho!"

"I'm the leader of this party, and I say we go fight. Just shut up and follow me, you cowards."

"I'm such a nice guy."


Kasios

"Sing a sad song for me."


Kessler

"Without knowing it, I nearly committed my life's gravest error."

"I hate the Empire too, but I'm just a bandit."


Kimberly

"I'm a perfectionist."


Kirke

"I am Death himself. Don't overwork me."


Kirkis

"It's true that humans dislike elves and dwarves. We look down on humans. The dwarves detest us. Isn't it sad? After all, what's the difference between us? Why can't we just get along? I just don't understand it. It's very sad."

"So this is the end of my war."

"The village is gone. And perhaps my war is not over yet."


Kraze

"Do you have wax in your ears?"


Kreutz

"The dragon inside me has awakened."


Kun To

"Yep, that's my vocation. If I don't wory, I don't eat."

"The blood of youth is bubbling back.."


Kuromimi

"Bow wow!"

"You all weak. Kuromimi no give up."

"Oh, Mommy!"

"I show kobold power! You all follow Kuromimi. Arrrhoooooooooo!"

"Woof, you all follow Black Ears, hear?"


Kwanda Rosman

"They once called me Kwanda the Insurmountable, and I shall again become the wall that protects Emperor Barbarosa. So come, liberators. See my strength."

"Please go ahead and take my head. I'll die like a soldier."

"But whatever I say now is irrelevant. After what I have done, my only remaining fate is to die like a soldier."

"The best man wins. That's the truth."

"Taste the sharpness of my blade!"

"Can you break my invulnerable defenses?"

"Victory is near! I strike with all my might!"


Ledon

"Please sir! Spare my head."


Leknaat

"Oh my, what a cute messenger we have this year."

"My job is to see the future in the stars. But the future is not unchangeable. All I can see is the overall flow of things."

"You will have to make painful choices, and experience a great deal of pain and sorrow. And I know not what the outcome is. But always remember that your destiny is in your own hands. Never forget that. You must decide what is right."

"Always remember that your destiny is in your own hands. Never forget that. You must decide what is right."

"Your true power comes from colleagues with whom you share you ideals."

"You are all travelers, stars that wander freely across the skies. And you have all assembled in this single spot. Together you will be victorious."


Leon Silverberg

"In a war, only the strong survive."


Lepant

"I swear by my sword that I'll defeat you!"

"I'm sorry. I can't give up this life right now. For my wife's sake."

"Commander Tir, it appears that I, too, am now a fugitive. I pretended to be blind to the Empire's cruelties, just to protect my family. And look where it's gotten me."

"Think of your friends. Think of your families. And fight for them!"


Liukan

"Ah, so my time is up. I'm prepared to die. And I won't miss this world."

"We old ones are prepared, but... It hurts to see young ones die."


Luc

"Of course not, Ma'am. I would never trick anyone."

"Wind Rune, show your power."

"I'm Luc, Lady Leknaat's number one apprentice."


Mace

"Although I die, my will remains."


Mathiu Silverberg

"I refuse! I've had it with war. Nowadays I'm nothing but a poor recluse."

"See the power of the science!"

"Odessa told me that a powerful man who doesn't use his power is a coward. Yes, I am a coward. I would rather be called a coward than have to bear seeing that awful sight again. Even if it meant being rejected by my own sister... Watching people die from my own actions. Friend and enemy alike..."

"But today... I have realized something. Even if I close my eyes, the world will not disappear."

"Our only strength is the hope that people see in us. That we must never betray."

"We shouldn't attack without understanding what the enemy is thinking."

"You are the leader of the Liberation Army. Don't you think there are matters more important than your emotions?"

"You have your duties, and Pahn has his. We cannot lose you now. No matter what the sacrifice."

"Viktor! Cut off that man's head!"

"I am prepared to do anything to win, no matter what the sacrifice may be."

"There is a thing called flow in this world. There is a thing called timing in warfare. If we lose this opportunity, we will never defeat the Empire!"

"I have said that I am prepared to sacrifice anything to win this war. And that sacrifice includes me."

"Master Liukan, I despise war. I've always believed that to take the life of another, for whatever reason, was wrong. Yet I became a military strategist, and took many lives. Master Liukan... did I do the right thing? Perhaps I should have stayed in that village, fishing my idle moments away, until my death..."

"We have lost many lives. For our departed friends, and for the future, we must battle on. We must bring an end to this conflict."


Maximillian

"Watch me in my final blaze of glory."

"By the honor of Maximilian's Knights!"


Melodye

"I have to finish the sad melody of war."


Milich Oppenheimer

"I was called by the Emperor, and of course I must show him my exquisite taste in clothes."

"What fools. I'll show you how wonderful my Antoinette is."

"I am the most renowned of the Five Great Imperial Generals, Milich Oppenheimer, the Flower General."

"...I'm not a sissy like Kwanda, you know."

"My my, how barbarous. I'm not bad with a sword, but right now I'm not in the mood."

"Such a short life, like that of a flower..."


Morgan

"The light in my eyes may have faded, but the light in my soul continues to shine."

"My fist is not for wasting, but..."


Neclord

"Goodness, how famous I've become. It's a tough life."


Odessa Silverberg

"Rebel Army? We prefer to call ourselves the Liberation Army. But who cares about names."

"Do you have any idea what the Empire is really doing? Do you know what the people want? Or will you pretend to ignore all that? Gremio, you saw with your own eyes, heard with your own ears. Are you willing to ignore the truth despite all you see and hear?"

"Tir, just as I follow my destiny, so must you follow yours. But when you return to the Empire, remember this: You must see with your own eyes, think for yourself and follow your heart."

"Use your head. You have the ability to judge right from wrong."

"But remember that you can't turn away from what you see and what you feel. Because if you do, that's a sin..."

"I, like you, was brought up in the aristocracy, pretending to be blind to the injustices and discontents that permeates the Empire. But one day, I realized that I'm not just Silverberg's daughter, but an independent woman named Odessa."

"They follow you because they love you. They aren't putting themselves in grave danger because of orders. Cleo and Gremio want to protect you. Because you have something within yourself that makes them feel that way. Always remember that."

"It appears... I've chosen to be a woman... rather than commander of... the Liberation Army. I couldn't let that child die. I'm a failure... as a leader..."

"If the Liberation forces find out I'm dead... the Movement will lose faith and die... That is why you must keep my death a secret. Their tiny... newborn hope... must be kept... alive..."

"This is blood. My blood... You are not aware of it, but a lot more blood is being shed by the innocent... at the hands of the Imperial government... You must put an end to it. Even if I die... If my hopes remain alive... I can be proud of my life. My blood..."

"Well... it appears the end is near... Tir, I hope that you will be able to see the Free World that I was... never able to..."


Pahn

"Whether it's battling bandits on Mt. Seifu or monsters on Lake Toran, Pahn here's your man."

"Ho hum."

"Ha ha! I can't wait. I've been waiting for a good fight."

"I'm the renowned Imperial hero..."

"Finally, home sweet home."

"Finally some food fit for humans."

"I-I want to follow my heart. Whether my heart is right or wrong will be judged by history."

"You're a pig in human skin! Take this!"

"Now I know exactly what I want, and how I want to live. Now that I know those things, I cannot let them go."

"I'm sorry, Master Teo. I will choose my own path."


Sanchez

"At my age, it's difficult to change one's way of life."


Sansuke

"Wanna take a bath... before I... die..."


Schtolteheim Reinbach III (Viktor)

"Me, sir? I'm just a poor jujube vendor, with hungry kids waiting at home..."


Sheena

"I'm not just my father's son!"


Sonya Shulen

"H-how dare you, you impertinent scoundrel! I'll lop off your head!"

"Why did you betray your own father, Teo? Inciting rebellion, causing war, taking lives... is this what you call justice?"

"But I will not let you defile me. I am the Empire's... His Highness's... Teo's..."


Stallion

"Hey, don't you remember me? Stallion, the fastest pair of feet in the village. Didn't you know?"

"Ha! I, Stallion, shall show you how fast I can run."

"I wish you could have seen how fast I can run."

"Hey, don't you want to hear about my speed?"


Star Dragon Sword

"Vampires are nothing to me."

"One or two vampires like this one are easy work."


Sydonia

"Ha. I'd rather tear him to pieces."


Sylvina

"Humans act big, yet they're dead after only 50 years or so. Why bother with such lowly creatures?"


Tai Ho

"You're smart. Go home to mommy."

"Well, you're lucky today. I tend to go along with lucky folk."


Ted

"I knew you were a good friend!"

"He called me a punk!"

"Ouch! Watch it, you punk!"

"I hate to bring friendship into this. And knowing it will bring unhappiness."

"Please... Please don't let my 300 years of suffering be for nothing."

"Who needs a body that can't be controlled?"

"Live your life to the fullest... for my sake too."

"Tir... In 300 years, you were my only... My only true friend."


Tengaar

"You're so funny. It's OK. You're still my hero."


Teo MchDohl

"Let's raise our glasses. To my son. To the Empire."

"Traitors! I'll show no mercy, not even for my son! I swear by my name, Teo McDohl!"

"You're wasting time. Do not waste any more lives."

"My sword's not rusty yet."

"My killer blade..."

"Now that I've seen what you've got, I'll show you what I can do."

"You're soft... soft! This is how you attack!"

"My sword is the Emperor's sword. I'll show no mercy!"

"My deadly sword..."

"Come on! Show me what a man you've become!"

"Tir McDohl, my son. You have become so strong. I lived for what I believed in. And I have no regrets. You must also live for what you believe in. I give blessings to your choice."

"The greatest happiness... a father can experience... is to see his son... surpass himself."

"I fought for the Emperor, and the Emperor alone, out of stubbornness."

"The flow of time... cannot be reversed."


Tesla

"My god, how unlucky I am. Led back into a life of crime."


Tir McDohl

"Shut up, you fool."

"My father goes his way, I go mine."

"Unforgivable!"

"Vengeance! Your time is up!"

"Cut off his head."


Valeria

"If I stay away from battle for a while, my hands ache with bloodlust."

"See if you can stand the Gale Sword!"

"The Liberation Army can't afford to lose its leader. A leader must stay alive."

"...You mustn't lose sight of your bigger goals."


Varkas

"I'm Varkas the Whirlwind Axe."

"So you want a fight? Don't think you're the only one with a grudge. Why I'll cut out your eyeballs..."


Viki

"My name's Viki. I'm a poor soul with nowhere to go. Won't you protect me?"

"Oh no! Please, you aren't planning to leave an innocent little girl like me here in the forest, are you?"


Viktor

"Prepare yourselves for a surprise."

"There's all kinds of ways to make a living."

"A joke's a joke."

"Tir, kindness alone does not make a leader."

"Hey, you! Peacock Man."

"For a leader of the Liberation Army, weakness is unforgivable."

"Black Rune, Pink Balloon, what's the difference?

"I had a hell of a time."

"Cleo, this priest is bonkers."

"What's with this thing? Pretty arrogant for a sword."

"500 years of evil deeds. This is where my journey ends. You killed my family and friends, and I traveled far looking for you. Now it's time for revenge!"

"I'll make sure you never waste your breath again. Here we go, Star Dragon!"

"You're all hopeless without me."

"What? Nothing for me to do? Shucks, I was looking forward to a good rumble."

"Can't let a pretty lady like you die."

"But just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can’t something be wrong... and priceless?"

"I'm Viktor the Invincible!"

"I am Viktor! Remember it!"

"Anyone feel like dying today? Step forward. I'll fight until my heart stops!"


Vincent de Boule

"Your lack of trust is so typical of peasant stock. What I'm trying to tell you is that you have the honor of being owed money by me for a little while. Think about it. I, Vincent de Boule, of pure aristocratic extraction, will owe you money. You should be happy."

"Aha, we are both of fine stock. Let's fraternize on a more casual basis. Now that introductions are out of the way, may I impose on you for a moment and ask if you might lend me a few coins."

"What a sad world we live in. Nobody trusts anybody anymore. I, Vincent, am deeply wounded."

"You're quite bright for a commoner."

"A man of my birth would never sneak in like a common burglar."

"I, shall die for your friendship."

"I... lay down my life for a friend."


Warren

"The ground quakes with the anger of the people. Their cries echo in the heavens. Now is the time to for this to end."


Windy

"Detestable creature."

"I am your ideal host. Together, let us take revenge on this cursed world."


Yam Koo

"Here we go again with Big Brother's madness."


Yuber

"Well then, don't bother to struggle against my sword. I'll chop you all into little pieces, making sure you feel no pain."

"Tsk. This is it. The end of this country. Ah, well. I won't miss it much."


Conversations:

1) Kraze and Tir McDohl

Kraze: "Heh. So it's Teo's boy? You're late! You can't be pampered all your life, you know. Now for your first assignment. Listen carefully, because I'll only tell you once. Northeast of Gregminster lies the Magician's Island. Leknaat the Seer lives there. She has been commissioned to look into the stars. Go there and bring me her results. Are you listening? Tell me where the Magician's Island is."

Tir: "Somewhere on this earth."


2) Futch and Ted

Ted: "You're a Dragon Knight? You're just a punk."

Futch: "What did you say? You're a punk yourself!"

Ted: "I'm a punk? I happen to be 300-years..."


3) Kraze and Kanaan

Kraze: "Shut up! Stop yapping while I'm talking."

Kanaan: "That's right. All of you stop yapping."

Kraze: "Idiot! Kanaan! I'm telling you to shut up!"

Kanaan: "Who, me?"


4) Kanaan and Pahn

Kanaan: "Phew! Finally, Mt. Seifu. All of you, don't chicken out because of the bandits."

Pahn: "And you too."

Kanaan: "Here we go! Pahn, you take the lead."

Pahn: "Why me?"

Kanaan: "Just shut up and go. I'm the leader, so I'll go last."

Pahn: "Pshaw!"


5) Varkas and Sydonia

Varkas: "Did you hear that? He says we're the tax thieves. Listen here, you petty clerk. I'm Varkas the Whirlwind Axe. Sydonia, you introduce yourself too."

Sydonia: "Heh, why bother?"

Varkas: "Affable fellow..."


6) Gremio and Viktor

Gremio: "Say, how did you bribe him. You just told us you had no money."

Viktor: "Why should I use my own money to help you get away?"

Gremio: "What do you mean? Hey, my wallet! When did you...?"


7) Tir, Gremio, Cleo and Viktor

Gremio: "I'll be Roi."

Cleo: "I'll be Maria."

Viktor: "You don't look like a Maria."

Cleo: "What did you say?"

Viktor: "Hmmm, I guess I'll be... Schtolteheim Reinbach III. How's that sound?"

Cleo: "... ... ..."

Gremio: "...Young Master, how about you?"

Tir: "Schtolteheim Reinbach IV."


8) Tir and Imperial Soldier

Soldier: "Who are you?"

Tir: "Just some good guys passing by."


9) Viktor and Cleo

Viktor: "That figures. Think we're stupid enough to fall for such an old trick?"

Cleo: "You did, once before."


10) Lepant and Eileen

Lepant: "Eileen..."

Eileen: "Yes."

Lepant: "You are no longer my wife."

Eileen: "W-why, Lepant?"

Lepant: "I am joining the Liberation Army. I probably won't be able to return."

Eileen: "...You're a cruel man. What do you take me for?"

Lepant: "If you come along, you'll suffer."

Eileen: "I've been prepared for the worst, ever since I married you."


11) Valeria and Imperial Soldier

Imperial Soldier: "That's a good girl. Behave yourself. Men, kill the elf, kobold and the rest of the traitors."

Valeria: "What? You just swore to god."

Imperial Soldier: "God? There is no god in these modern times."


12) Gen and Kamandol

Gen: "OK, then let's take this to... P-Plummy Lamar? Prommy Lamb? Pramyam Lobby?"

Kamandol: "Premier L'Amour, you idiot."

Gen: "Shut up. Who can remember a stupid name like that? Let's go to Rikon!"


13) Tesla and Viktor

Viktor: "You're Tesla the Scrivener, right?"

Albert: "Goodness, no. My name is Albert Onyx. My people have lived here for generations."

Viktor: "Really? Then what is your mother's name?"

Albert: "Ummm, her name is Marianne Onyx."

Viktor: "And your father?"

Albert: "I believe it was... ah... Allen Onyx."

Viktor: "Grandmother?"

Albert: "Uhhh... let's see... Leah Onyx."

Viktor: "Hey Tesla."

Albert: "Yes? .........! I mean... that's not my name, Tesla."

Viktor: "Do you give up?"


14) Kessler, Ledon and Ronnie Bell

Ledon: "Yikes! How can I be so unlucky? First I get chased off the mountain, and then I get captured by a giant woman."

Ronnie Bell: "What did you call me? 'giant woman'?"

Ledon: "N-no, I-I mean..."

Kessler: "My luck's run out, getting beaten by this giant woman."

Ronnie Bell: "If you don't stop insulting me, you'll be sorry."

Ledon: "W-wait a minute, p-please. I only called you 'giant woman' once."

Kessler: "I only said 'giant woman' once too."

Ledon: "Yeah, but Boss Kessler said 'giant woman' twice."

Ronnie Bell: "You bums! Calling me 'giant woman' over and over. I'll teach you a lesson!"


15) Hix and Viktor

Hix: "Are you... the Liberation Army? That's right. I've seen you attack Milich's castle. I've seen this bear-like man too."

Viktor: "Bear?"

Hix: "I-I mean... don't get angry."


16) Viktor and Star dragon Sword

Star Dragon Sword: "Let's go, partner."

Viktor: "(Tsk. Why should a sword call me 'partner'?)"


17) Kasumi and Krin

Krin: "Hee hee, how ladylike you try to be in front of Tir. But for you it's a lost cause."

Kasumi: "!!!!!!!!! Watch your mouth, you rat!"


18) Tai Ho, Yam Koo and Kimberly

Kimberly: "That's not like you at all. Let's have a good time tonight. Just the two of us. Until sunrise."

Tai Ho: "Just the two of us? Seems like there's three."

Yam Koo: "That's true, Big Brother. The three of us."

Kimberly: "(Damn. Inconsiderate fellow)."

Yam Koo: "(Big Brother has a weakness for the ladies. Better stay here and protect him)."


19) Barbarossa and Windy

Barbarosa: "I loved you."

Windy: "Liar. You loved my resemblance to Claudia!"

Barbarosa: "That's not true. I wanted to erase the sadness that lies hidden deep in your eyes. The sadness of one who cannot accept others. I loved you. But that was a mistake. It was my only mistake. But it cannot be forgiven."